Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Action Research Plan / A Cyclic Process

Wow!  First I must say that I cannot believe I finally got my action research plan on my blog!  I think I am starting to get the hang of being a "blogger".

This week I mapped out the details to my action research topic.  As I reflect on it, I know that this is my road map and that at some point the road may turn a different direction than this original plan states. Therefore, with the thought of possible detours I have been asking myself many questions, forecasting some possible turns and even maybe some road closures.  One part of the plan that I am going to change is the people responsible.  I noticed that even though this is my plan, I have many other being responsible for daily lessons, pre and post assessments, and some diagnostic assessments.  My main responsibility is the unfolding of the data to determine the appropriate course of action so that all struggling third grade students have increased value with number sense.  I want to not only unfold the data, but be more of a part of the process of collecting the work samples.  The bottom 10% of third grade students who struggle will be scattered throughout all of our third grade teachers.  Unfortunately, I can not be in that many places at one time, so I know the day to day lessons will have to be overseen by the individual teacher.  But, I do feel that I can be more of a  part of the assessment process.  For example, administering the fluency probes and other diagnostic assessments. I will make myself available when possible to  help in anyway I can. Another goal of mine is to make sure that when periodic diagnostic assessments are done, that I am evaluating all documentation so that no children fall through the cracks.  I want to address all struggling students, making sure that as new student that move in to our district or those that move out are indicated so that the list remains current, focusing on all students that fall within the bottom 10% .  Lastly, when I reviewed my plan last week, I went back and added a teacher survery that will be completed by the mathematics teacher. This survery will give mebackground knowledge about each child in the sample group.
As the days pass I know I will be doing more reflections and speaking to more of my colleagues and supervisors, gaining knowledge and the valued opinions of others.
Till next time........

No comments:

Post a Comment