This week I visited with my site supervisor, principal, to revisit my internship plan and to discuss my action research topic. As we were visiting many thoughts came through my head. I originally wanted to follow all students involved in this new program, K-8th grade, but as I was listening to my site supervisor I realized that in order to determine the effectiveness I should sample a small group. Therefore, I have decided to follow the current third grade students of our district, approximately 350 students. I selected this group for two reasons: they are at my home campus and this grade is the first grade in which all four operations are taught and mastered.
I feel that this action research plan will benefit all students K-8th grade. Too many of our students are not fluent in their facts; therefore, they are experiencing struggles all the way through high school. This is of a growing concern as our state moves to a more rigorous assessment that will include a time limit of four hours. Those students who do not know their facts will be struggling not only on the comprehension of the problems, but also on the time restrictions. There is no longer time to for pictures, skip counting, or other methods for fact recall, it must be automatic!
No comments:
Post a Comment